- Increasing the amount of water in your system which can help to dilute (spread it out over a larger area) out any potential toxins untill you can fix it
- They provide an out of the way place for all the other equipment such as skimmers,heaters and so on.
- A section of the sump can be set aside for use as a refuge for growing macro algaes or just a home for more delicate creatures that help the main tank such as pods.
- They make doing water changes alot easier, no need to move lights out of the way or splash it all over the glass that you just cleaned of kids fingerprints.
- They also allow an easy way to dose your tank if you are dripping in other elements or just topping off the tank with a freshwater source.
Everything you always wanted to know about Sumps Part Two Part Three - The title says it all. A great article detailing all aspects on the use of a sump.
OverFlows and Sumps - Another very good article detailing the use of overflows and sumps.
Whats in your Sump? - " Here is a starting place to begin considering what features you can add to your reservoir, depending on your needs and space "
Shown below are some of the life forms that will grow in low light, high flow areas of sumps, all of which aides in filtering small particles from the water.
Used by permission. Many thanks to Charlies and Linda Raabe for their support. www.chucksaddiction.com