Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Byron's 34 Gallon RedSeaMax (Softie Tank)

Byron's 34 Gallon RedSeaMax (Softie Tank) 4 years 8 months ago #86481

• uny2bld
  • uny2bld's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Aquarist
  • Platinum Aquarist
  • Thank you received: 10
We bought two 34 gallon Red Sea Max's about 7 years ago. This one is in the kitchen and is a softie tank with:

1 - Blue Spotted Puffer (Canthigaster solandri)
1 - Neon Dottyback - Tank-Bred (Pseudochromis aldabraensis)
1 - Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)

2 bioluminescent brittle stars
Several Green Hairy mushrooms
Hermits, several large limpets and other snails
1,000 + asternea stars

History: As usual, we have it set up with an intended natural approach. We have a 4 - 6 inch deep sand bed with the appropriate particle sized sand ( 0.06mm - 0.25mm) sand with less than 1/6th particle size of (0.25mm - 1mm) which is perfect for the critters that make a sand bed function the way it is supposed to.

We quarantined lot's of liverock long enough to remove pests but keep a large variety of micro-fauna to add to the tanks diversity (so, up to 6 months in qt). This helps the dsb function properly. After the rock is added, we wait a few months before we add any livestock to allow time for the fauna to populate the sandbed and rock...

Other natural elements include some macro algae and just some protein skimming...

Eventually, we plan to remove the other fish out and use the tank to breed Neon Dottybacks. We also plan to add some more coral but only a couple pieces bc I kind of like the mushroom garden...

The pictures are top-view because the tank walls are completely overgrown with coralline algae. This was intentional because of the skittish nature of the dottyback. It isn't aesthetically pleasing but it undoubtedly calmed the dottyback down and I think it will be beneficial when we try to breed them...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by uny2bld.

Byron's 34 Gallon RedSeaMax (Softie Tank) 4 years 8 months ago #86482

• uny2bld
  • uny2bld's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Aquarist
  • Platinum Aquarist
  • Thank you received: 10
Attachments:

Re:Byron's 34 Gallon RedSeaMax (Softie Tank) 4 years 8 months ago #86486

That was very good info on the sand bed. I like that you created this tank with the fish needs in mind. I know the dottybacks are one of your favorites. I look forward to watching this thread update.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.497 seconds