Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 20 gallon ATS system

20 gallon ATS system 3 years 1 week ago #91684

Build start date - Oct 2015

Tank - Custom built 20 gallon system with an ATS partition. Actual water volume is about 15 gallons.

Lighting - LED system with 52 bulbs at 3 watt each ( 44 14,000 kelvin bulbs and 8 blue actinics) and has 3 controllable power and timer channels

Flow is simply two powerheads, one of which creates the overflow for the ATS

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 gallon ATS system 3 years 1 week ago #91685

The tank as of today - 15 March 2016

All sand, live rocks and corals were collected off the local reef here in the Philippines ( I am retired U.S. Navy and do nothing now but study the reefs, also known as goofing off in the tropics)

The ATS is now fully matured and when I think it is time to export some nutrients, I simply scrape off 1/3rd of the algae and rotate scrapings as needed. I used a piece of needle point cloth which is very stiff and rugged for the algae to grow on.

This system is virtually maintenance free and will do a partial water change if I feel like dragging home 5 gallons of ocean water, but so far all I've done in the last month is add top off water.

Attachments:

20 gallon ATS system 3 years 1 week ago #91686

Yes, I hate my camera...lol I can never get a photo that shows the actual lighting conditions try as I may.

Attachments:

20 gallon ATS system 3 years 1 week ago #91691

Just noticed these Tunicates within my tank today and am thrilled because they are notoriously hard or impossible to keep and if they have grown large enough for me to now see them, that tells me that my little ecosystem is on track :)
They are filter feeders much like sponges are. Oh, and that greyish area to the right of them, that is all sponge that has encrusted that entire section of the rock, hopefully it will start putting out "towers" which would look cool :)

Attachments:

20 gallon ATS system 3 years 6 days ago #91695

Those tunicates are so cool!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chucksaddiction

• Page:
Time to create page: 11.671 seconds